When it comes to maintaining oral health, brushing and flossing daily is just one piece of the puzzle. Without regular dental visits, a variety of issues will crop up over time. Like many people, you may simply forget to schedule routine checkups and cleanings. A great way to overcome this issue is by finding a great Carson City dentist. Once you do, you will be reminded to schedule checkups on a regular basis. By seeing a skilled dentist regularly, you’ll be able to rest easy in the knowledge that your oral health is in tip-top shape.
Dental Checkups and Cleanings
Establishing an ongoing relationship with a dentist in Carson City is among the best ways to ensure that you stay on top of your dental and oral health. The typical dental checkup consists of two parts: a thorough examination of your mouth, teeth and gums and a thorough cleaning.
During your examination, the dentist will look for signs of gum disease, signs of tooth decay, broken fillings, loose or broken teeth and other issues. X-rays may be taken to ensure that issues are identified at the earliest possible stage.
During your cleaning, the hygienist will clean and polish your teeth. They will also floss between your teeth. When the work is done, your mouth and teeth will be as clean and sparkling as can be.
Top Reasons to Visit a Dentist in Carson City Regularly
People often assume that as long as they brush and floss their teeth every day, they don’t need to worry about seeing the dentist very often. Nothing could be further from the truth. Regular dental visits are an integral part of maintaining not only your oral and dental health but your overall health too.
Here are a few especially compelling reasons to have regular checkups with a dentist in Carson City:
- To Remove Tartar Buildup – Over time, a sticky, clear layer of bacteria called plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth. Brushing and flossing removes the majority of plaque, but some is usually left behind. As time goes by, plaque thickens and hardens to become tartar. Unlike plaque, tartar can’t be removed with flossing and brushing alone. During your cleaning, the dentist or hygienist will use a process called scaling to remove tartar buildup. If tartar isn’t removed regularly, it can cause tooth decay, gum disease and various other issues.
- To Catch Problems Early – Even if you are very diligent about your oral and dental health, tooth decay and other issues can occur. The risk is far lower when you regularly visit a Carson City dentist for cleanings, but decay and other problems may still arise. As long as you visit your dentist biannually, however, issues can be detected when they are still minor and easy to address.
- To Detect Non-Dental Conditions – People don’t often realize it, but symptoms of various non-dental conditions are sometimes found in the teeth, mouth and gums. During your routine dental examination, your dentist may detect signs of osteoporosis, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes or even oral cancer. Oftentimes, these are among the earliest symptoms of such conditions, so seeing the dentist regularly can be an effective way to detect non-dental problems early.
- To Save Money – Sure, you have to pay for your biannual dentist visits. However, the price is sure to be far lower than what you would pay to address various dental issues. With routine cleanings and exams, you may be able to ward off costly procedures like root canals and tooth extractions. When you look at it this way, it’s easy to see that the investment that you make in your oral health will pay off handsomely in the long run.
- To Maintain Confidence and Self-Esteem – When your mouth and teeth are healthy, clean and look great, you can go about your daily routine with confidence. Without regular dental checkups, the outward appearance of your teeth and mouth will suffer. Before too long, you will start to feel self-conscious about how your teeth look. The simplest way to avoid this issue is by having your teeth examined and cleaned on a routine basis.
By making your dental care a priority through routine checkups, maintaining your oral and dental health is much easier. If it’s been awhile since your last checkup, don’t worry. Dentists have seen it all. The important thing is getting back on track, and the first step is finding a talented and experienced dentist in Carson City. From there, you can schedule regular dental visits to ensure optimal health now and in the future.